Los, Angeles, CA
Today. Seven people have been arrested in an illegal debt collection scheme. The targets of the scheme were consumers in debt in Southern California who were threatened with jail time for unpaid debts. Under the law, you cannot be jailed for unpaid debt.
The debt collectors called about 6,000 consumers pretending to be a federal task force. Consumers were illegally threatened with jail time by having their cases forwarded to Los Angeles County authorities to issue warrants for their arrest. These types of tactics are unfortunately very common with debt collectors. Many consumers are completely unaware of the actual laws that apply to them and need professional help. If you are a consumer in debt contact a qualified debt settlement attorney. A debt settlement attorney will protect you from illegal threats and also work to settle the debt for a fraction of the balance claimed due.
Author: Kevin Fallon McCarthy
Kevin Fallon McCarthy
Latest posts by Kevin Fallon McCarthy (see all)
- Different Ways to Get Out of Debt - January 22, 2019
- Public Servants’ Second Chance at Federal Student Loan Forgiveness - April 10, 2018
- CREDIT CARD LOSS FOR SMALL BANKS AT AN EIGHT YEAR HIGH - March 22, 2018
- Rise of the Jumbo Student Loans - March 17, 2018
- Credit Card Market: Now and Then - February 23, 2018